Monday, March 31, 2014

THE Best Crusty Bread (Dutch Oven)

THE Best Crusty Bread (Dutch Oven)


Serves:

12 or depending on how the loaf is sliced
Prep Time:

10 Min
Cook Time:

45 Min
Cooking Method:
Bake

Ingredients

3 c
bread flour
1 tsp
active dry yeast
1 tsp
salt
1 1/2 c
water, warm

Directions  (make sure you read all the notes to this.....might want to incorporate some changes to the ingredients, timing, temp., etc)

1
 Whisk flour, yeast and salt in a 3-4 quart bowl with a tight fitting lid. I like to use my trusty Tupperware. If you don't have a bowl w/lid use plastic wrap on a bowl. Add the water and stir with a wooden spoon until the dough is mixed well. The dough will be quite sticky and shaggy looking, but that's OK. Cover the bowl and set aside for 12-18 hours,(up to 24) overnight is fine.
2
 Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place a cast iron Dutch oven with the lid into the oven while preheating and heat the pot/lid for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, scrape the risen dough from the bowl onto a heavily floured surface. (Dough will still be very sticky.) With floured hands, gently shape the dough into a round loaf, making sure there's enough flour on the surface so dough doesn't stick. let the dough just sit there until you're pot is preheated.
3
 Take the hot pot from the oven and gently place the dough into the pot. Cover with the lid and return to the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid at that time and return the pot to the oven for another 10-15 minutes. Gently shake the loaf onto a cooling rack and enjoy the beautiful aroma. Give it a chance to cool before cutting into the loaf.

Extra Notes:
This is super easy. I use a Tupperware bowl & lid to raise the dough and do it overnight. It just sits on the counter top for 12-24 hours, no need to refrigerate or keep a constant warm temp. It doesn't need sugar as the active dry yeast has so many hours to rise. The dough will have the consistency of a thick brownie batter. When you're ready to bake, preheat your Dutch oven in your stove oven for 30 minutes. I turn on my stove, pop in the dutch oven & lid and then dump the shaggy-looking dough onto my well-floured pizza peel. (Saves having to clean up the counter top.) Flour your hands and shape the dough into a round loaf and let it rise for the amount of time your pot is getting hot. I don't grease the pot and gently place the dough into the pot, cover it and put it in the hot oven. 
I've seen recipes on JAP and other sites where the bakers use other types of flour, like rye, and add-ins like rosemary or raisins. They also use enameled Dutch ovens or pots with lids that can withstand the 450 degree heat. My Dutch oven I bought from ABC Warehouse (an appliance and electronics store here in town)and is just your plain, no nonsense cast iron. I didn't want to spend $50 + on a pretty enameled pot like you see at Bed Bath & Beyond or like a Paula Deen product. I paid $20 for mine. If you look in the camping depts. in some stores you can probably find something that'll work for you. Have fun and let me know how your breads turn out :)

Extra Notes

Hi Lilian, I baked off a couple of loaves yesterday too. Made one with a cup of rye flour (& 2 c. bread flour) and added caraway seed and some minced dried onion. Then other I used 1 c. semolina flour for 1 c. of the bread flour and sprinkled sesame seed on top before baking. They both turned out well. I agree on the salt, I think another 1/2 tsp would do it.
I fell in love with this recipe because of the texture inside and out.

No comments: